Saturday, June 13, 2009

Confessions of Domestic Goddess - The Beginning 1

I had always planned to be a career woman. Have a family too of course, but would definitely be up and at ‘em in the office every morning. I had it all planned out. Pretty much every detail.

But then reality arrived in the form of actual children, not just the beautifully clean, well-behaved ones that blissfully play in your imagination. What arrived instead were two very different bundles of joy a few years apart. They both have had turns at screaming, crying, pooping, puking, smiling, laughing, misbehaving, messing, skipping, sleeping, coughing, sneezing, giggling, sweating, cuddling, shouting etc. You know, just like Other Peoples Children do.

Quite a shock when you’ve spent you life dreaming of perfectly groomed little angels. The weird thing though, is that you end up loving these unpredictable bundles far more than you could ever imagine. And despite the fact that my two girls are like their mother, imperfect, they are perfect to me.

And one morning, doing the daily commute, I saw a picture of my future. Driving right in front of me. A fantastically groomed but harried looking mother driving an upmarket family car, checking her child’s homework over the steering wheel at 6-30 in the morning.

It was a life altering vision. I’d been disliking my job for a while, and here, right in front of me, was the reason I no longer wanted to be a career woman. Because, instead of wanting to be an associate director by the time I was 35, I now wanted to be a Domestic Goddess.

Opportunity arrived to fulfill my new life’s ambition in the form of a job offer for my husband in Abu Dhabi. Through which I would be able to get a new set of letters behind my name – SAHM. The proud abbreviation for “Stay At Home Mum.”

And so began my foray into life as a Domestic Goddess.

No comments: